Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A few observations.

It has been almost a year since this OKC girl uprooted and moved to SoCal.
Here are a few things I've learned so far (in no particular order):
  1. Bigger cities are just better. There's always something to do.
  2. Bigger cities have too much traffic; the logic follows I suppose.
  3. Given the previous, timing is essential for efficient travel.
  4. In-N-Out has the best fast food cheese burger and fries period.
  5. The beach is addictive.
  6. Everything becomes more important and relevant when famous people are involved. After seeing this local news story, I know now that Jesus is right-on.
  7. There are more politically conservative people here than I thought there would be. I'd like to know how blue this state really is.
  8. Unfortunately, it seems (for some) with more diversity comes more friction (racism,intolerance, etc.) In my naivete, I thought if people were exposed to those of different cultures and persuasions then they would be more accepting. I could expound on this later.
  9. Now is the time for June gloom.
  10. Earthquakes are scarier than tornados.

4 comments:

pondering_c said...

interesting observations. cali is a very odd place.

amen to in-n-out.

ROBBIE THE ROBOT said...

I've seen the light! Jesus IS cool....hollywood said so....and then they didn't....and then they said he was again....so, honestly, He really MUST be....until, well, maybe, tomorrow.

Regarding #8 on your list. Take a class on multiculturalism & diversity and then this epiphany won't seem so shocking. Looking forward to your future post.

Happy ending to your school career- for now!

Anonymous said...

WOW...I have always lived here is so cal so these observations are interesting. I completely agree to your statement about racism and tolerance... I would love to hear more ...

A question I have just from being from here and only visiting Oklahoma and other states :) is would you say that living here, the people tend to be more into "things" than smaller cities... or states...? Does my question make sense?

Oh.. and one final thought. I think you find more "blue" around this area because this is a pretty conservative area of California. I would htink if you went more central, to northern you'd find not so much "blue".

Wis said...

You make a good point about the demographic we live in and political views. Those pesky stereotypes got me again. I had certain conceptions of Cali before moving here. Some of those have been confirmed, others not.
As far as your question, I don’t really think people are more into “things” here than anywhere else even smaller towns and cities. I tend to think materialism is prevalent everywhere. The difference in the locations is “what” people are putting value in. There is certainly more of a variety of material goods that become available to those in more populated areas but the issue remains in smaller areas all the same.