Sunday, June 04, 2006

Plop, plop Fizz, fizz

We've been going to the same church for almost six months now. Sadly, (for those of you that know us well) that is a pretty good record. I have enjoyed the experience for the most part. As I have found with most churches we've been involved with, I enjoy the small group/bible study gathering more than I do the actual church service. I suppose I prefer the intimacy of group studies. Plus, my unceasing disdain for contemporary worship continues so anytime I'm not having to make a conscious effort to have a better attitude about church is a mental relief.

A few high-points/observations from church this week (with a focus in Matt. 4:18-22):
  1. Following Christ is a conscientious decision made daily. (working out salvation)
  2. Christ chose those who were socially unlikely to be his disciples.
  3. We should have an unceasing love for others.
  4. It is refreshing to see this church consistently practice several positive values like being welcoming to all, stressing individual worth/purpose in Christ, insighting personal change without passing judgment, and practicing scripture memorization as a group.

3 comments:

pondering_c said...

you go to a church called flip side? that's as bad as fusion. sigh. i'm glad you are enjoying it or at least getting something out of it. i had a discussion with our "pastor" about my blog last week - i'm going blog about our conversation about it soon. i decided that i might as well try to get something from my "spiritual leader" and honestly it's been a long time since i had a "spirtual leader" that offered something positive.

i'm also still trying to come to terms with all the babies and housewives and stuff. but i suppose if it's a hangup for me - it's probably my fault and something i need to get over.

hope things are well. by the way, thanks for the long post about my bible ramblings. i've been meaning to email you about it.

i wonder does the posting on blogs allow us to step even farther away from true communication because i could have emailed this or called you about it. i am becoming more and more fascinated by this online culture.

ROBBIE THE ROBOT said...

What is up with your churches logo?

Wis said...

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for the name or design choices of my current church.

All I know is that by nature the postmodern church has a tendency to propagate various names that are meaningful to those that create them.

Robbie, maybe you can impart some design wisdom. The literal method of design is not one of favs either but what do I know?